    SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 03:42:37PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > > It doesn't yet; that patch is in linux-next. The firmware is shipped as
    > > part of the kernel source tree, and you currently need to run 'make
    > > firmware_install' to put it in /lib/firmware, although we're looking at
    > > making that easier because apparently having to run 'make
    > > firmware_install' is too hard...
    > Won't that break multiple kernel installs on any binary packaging
    > system that cares about file collisions? Multiple kernel rpms
    > providing the same /lib/firmware files would break things wouldn't
    > they ?

    We will probably need per-kernel directories, exactly like what is done for
    modules. And since there are (now) both kernel-version-specific, and
    non-kernel-version-specific firmware, this means the firmware loader should
    look first on the version-specific directory (say, /lib/firmware/$(uname
    -r)/), then if not found, on the general directory (/lib/firmware).

    Nothing too dificult to pull off, but something that needs to be done before
    this entire thing gets deployed on unsuspecting users. It is bad enough
    that it created such a commotion when deployed on unsuspecting developers...

    Henrique Holschuh

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-05 02:01    [W:0.022 / U:10.288 seconds]