    SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    David Woodhouse wrote:
    > On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:09 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    >> David Woodhouse <> writes:
    >>> I'll look at making the requirement for 'make firmware_install' more
    >>> obvious, or even making it happen automatically as part of
    >>> 'modules_install'.
    >> Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention, but how are "only
    >> boot bzImage without initrd or modules" setups supposed to work now
    >> for those drivers? My testing setup relies on that heavily.
    > That will continue to work just fine.
    >> Will the firmware automatically end up in initramfs and be included
    >> in the bzImage and loaded at the right point?
    > No, not even in the initramfs. It's built _right_ into the static kernel
    > image, and request_firmware() finds it there without even having to call
    > out to userspace at all.

    However, there is still a broken element to the system: the firmware no
    longer rides along in the module's .ko file. That introduces new
    problems for any user and script that copies modules around.

    The compiled-in firmware should be in the same place where it was before
    your changes -- in the driver's kernel module.

    So, yes, there should not be regressions for non-module users. Let's
    now solve the regression problem for the other half of the world...

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-04 15:19    [W:0.024 / U:10.876 seconds]