    SubjectRe: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes
    On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:48:31PM -0400, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

    > James> The problem, which ata_ram also suffers, is that the tools we
    > James> most need to test are the ones for manipulating non volatile
    > James> characteristics (like partition tables). We'd really like the
    > James> disk contents to survive reboot for this ...
    >
    > Yeah, I should add that I wanted persistence too. I went through a
    > whole stack (well, 5-6 or so) fibre channel drives from various
    > vendors and attempted to low-level format them to 4KB sectors. Most
    > of them laughed in my face. One of them tried to comply and
    > irreparably confused its firmware in the process.
    >
    > Just yesterday I received a couple of prototype drives in the mail.
    > I'll ask the vendor whether they support 4KB and if so I'll give them
    > a whirl.

    I have access to disks with native 4KB sectors now too. Would
    interested parties be willing to share test plans, so we could be sure
    we have coverage wrt correctness: kernel internals, userspace tools like parted,
    fdisk, kpartx, apps using O_DIRECT)? Benchmarking winds up being an
    NDA activity this early in the game so I don't want the focus of any
    joint work to be benchmarks yet.

    --
    Matt Domsch
    linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

      Last update: 2008-07-30 15:55    [W:4.577 / U:1.276 seconds]