SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 of July 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>>> Still, maybe we can add some kbuild magic to build the blobs along with
>>> their modules and to install them under /lib/firmware (by default) when the
>>> modules are installed in /lib/modules/... ?
>> Something like appending this to Makefile?
>>
>> firmware_and_modules_install: firmware_install modules_install
>>
>> (I'm still wondering if we should make 'firmware_install' install to
>> /lib/firmware by default, instead of into the build tree as
>> 'headers_install' does. The Aunt Tillie answer would definitely be
>> 'yes', although that means it requires root privs; like modules_install
>> does.)
>
> I would prefer 'make firmware_install' to just copy the blobs into specific
> location in analogy with 'make modules_install', so that you can build the
> blobs as a normal user (for example, on an NFS server) and then put them
> into the right place as root (for example, on an NFS client that has no write
> privilege on the server).

Not entirely sure which you mean. You _can't_ run 'make modules_install'
as a normal user, unless you override $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH) on the command
line.

Do you want 'make firmware_install' to be the same? It isn't at the
moment -- it installs to a subdirectory of the kernel build tree, like
'make headers_install' does. But I'm not sure which is better.

--
dwmw2

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans