    SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Thursday, 3 of July 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:
    >> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    >>> Still, maybe we can add some kbuild magic to build the blobs along with
    >>> their modules and to install them under /lib/firmware (by default) when the
    >>> modules are installed in /lib/modules/... ?
    >> Something like appending this to Makefile?
    >>
    >> firmware_and_modules_install: firmware_install modules_install
    >>
    >> (I'm still wondering if we should make 'firmware_install' install to
    >> /lib/firmware by default, instead of into the build tree as
    >> 'headers_install' does. The Aunt Tillie answer would definitely be
    >> 'yes', although that means it requires root privs; like modules_install
    >> does.)
    >
    > I would prefer 'make firmware_install' to just copy the blobs into specific
    > location in analogy with 'make modules_install', so that you can build the
    > blobs as a normal user (for example, on an NFS server) and then put them
    > into the right place as root (for example, on an NFS client that has no write
    > privilege on the server).

    Not entirely sure which you mean. You _can't_ run 'make modules_install'
    as a normal user, unless you override $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH) on the command
    line.

    Do you want 'make firmware_install' to be the same? It isn't at the
    moment -- it installs to a subdirectory of the kernel build tree, like
    'make headers_install' does. But I'm not sure which is better.

    --
    dwmw2

      Last update: 2008-07-03 23:57    [W:0.026 / U:0.308 seconds]