    SubjectRe: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...
    On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 06:17 -0400, wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:23:48 BST, David Woodhouse said:
    > > The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
    > > seems to have been here (in 2006):
    > >
    > >;a=commitdiff;h=a30a6a2c
    > Aha. That's the part I was missing. :)
    > From the changelog for that commit, Shaohua Li wrote:
    > "with the changes, we should put all intel-ucode/xx-xx-xx microcode files
    > into the firmware dir (I had a tool to split previous big data file into
    > small one and later we will release new style data file). The init script
    > should be changed to ..."
    > And apparently I got stuck between the unreleased tool to split the file,
    > and the release of the new style data file.

    That 'new style' data file is just the binary output of the
    microcode_ctl tool. The kernel is still capable of finding the section
    it requires, when fed the whole blob.

    > Anyhow, it appears the firmware_request() was just a bullet loaded in the
    > chamber waiting for me to pull the trigger 2 years later by setting

    No, the recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The
    FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option makes no difference here.

    > The behavior is explained, and presumably Intel will eventually release
    > a method of getting the new-format bits, and all will be right with the
    > world (or at least this part of it.. ;)

    Some would say that Intel already released a method for making it work,
    in the form of the email to which you're replying... does that udev
    configuration not work for you?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-03 15:25    [W:0.020 / U:2.432 seconds]