    SubjectRe: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...
    On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:44 +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:17:16 BST, Tigran Aivazian said:
    > >> Hi Valdis,

    > > =n'.

    > >> that's because it expects the Intel-supplied microcode data and you are
    > >> using the old style microcode.dat data.
    > >
    > > I fed it the stuff I downloaded today from this URL:
    > >
    > > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2643&OSFullName=Linux*〈=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go!
    > >
    > > which gets me a microcode-20080401.dat that does the same thing. Is there
    > > some *other* Intel-supplied microcode data I should be getting instead?
    >
    > Oh, sorry, I assumed that Intel distribute the data in the format that
    > driver expects.

    I think the kernel _does_ manage to extract just the part it wants from
    the data, but it expects the data in binary form. Drop the attached
    files in /lib/udev/microcode.sh and /etc/udev/rules.d/51-microcode.rules
    respectively. (There's probably a better way to handle this kind of
    thing by putting hooks in firmware.sh rather than using a special rule
    which overrides it?)

    The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
    seems to have been here (in 2006):

    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=a30a6a2c

    --
    dwmw2
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-shellscript]# firmware requests for intel-ucode/* are satisfied by microcode_ctl

      Last update: 2008-07-03 15:25    [W:0.022 / U:95.184 seconds]