SubjectRe: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...
[ Added Arjan and the relevant Intel contact]

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:17:16 BST, Tigran Aivazian said:
>>> Hi Valdis,

>> =n'.

>>> that's because it expects the Intel-supplied microcode data and you are
>>> using the old style microcode.dat data.
>>
>> I fed it the stuff I downloaded today from this URL:
>>
>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2643&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go!
>>

>> which gets me a microcode-20080401.dat that does the same thing. Is
>> there
>> some *other* Intel-supplied microcode data I should be getting instead?
>
> Oh, sorry, I assumed that Intel distribute the data in the format that
> driver expects.

There are two format of Intel CPU microcode and two methods to load it.
- old: the microcodes are in a big file, which include multiple
microcodes (for multiple CPU). The driver require a char device
and a user space loader ("microcode_ctl")
- new: one microcode per file, using the 'request_firmware'
infrastructure. No user space support needed.

Actually Intel provides only the old methods.
There was talks with Arjan and Intel about the distribution format
for the new methods. But I don't have any new.
I think that when the new format is fully specified (directory
structure, tar, gzip,...) Intel will distribute the microcodes
in the new form.

ciao
cate

  Last update: 2008-07-03 14:27    [W:0.100 / U:0.092 seconds]