    SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.27-rc1: problem with firmware stuff
    Date
    On Tuesday, 29 of July 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Tuesday, 29 of July 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > It's two weeks (and one day), and the merge window is over.
    > >
    > > Finally. I don't know why, but this one really did feel pretty dang busy.
    > > And the size of the -rc1 patch bears that out - at 12MB, it's about 50%
    > > bigger than 26-rc1 (but not that much bigger than 24/25-rc1, so it's not
    > > like it's anything unheard of).
    > >
    > > The pure size of the -rc's _is_ making me a bit nervous, though. Sure, it
    > > means that we are good at merging it all, but I have to say that I
    > > sometimes wonder if we don't merge too much in one go, and even our
    > > current (fairly short) release cycle is actually too big.
    > >
    > > Anyway, that's a discussion for some other event.
    > >
    > > Much of -rc1 was in linux-next, but certainly not everything. We'll see
    > > how that whole thing ends up evolving - it certainly didn't solve all
    > > problems, and there was some bickering about things that weren't there
    > > (and some things that mostly were ;), but maybe it helped.
    > >
    > > There's a ton of new stuff in there, but at least personally the
    > > interesting things are the BKL pushdown and perhaps the introduction of
    > > the lockless get_user_pages_fast(). The build system also got updated to
    > > allow moving the architecture include files ("include/asm-xyz") into the
    > > architecture subdirectories ("arch/xyz/include/asm"), and sparc seems to
    > > have taken advantage of that already.
    > >
    > > But those changes are just small details in the end. As usual, the bulk of
    > > changes are all to device drivers (roughly half, as usual), with the arch
    > > directory amounting to about half of the remainder. Dirstat:
    > >
    > > 3.2% arch/arm/
    > > 9.2% arch/ppc/
    > > 24.6% arch/
    > > 5.2% drivers/char/drm/
    > > 6.3% drivers/char/
    > > 4.5% drivers/gpu/drm/
    > > 4.5% drivers/gpu/
    > > 4.6% drivers/media/video/
    > > 5.5% drivers/media/
    > > 3.0% drivers/net/wireless/
    > > 10.7% drivers/net/
    > > 6.4% drivers/usb/misc/
    > > 4.7% drivers/usb/serial/
    > > 12.9% drivers/usb/
    > > 51.2% drivers/
    > > 4.4% firmware/
    > > 3.7% fs/
    > > 9.2% include/
    > >
    > > where the bulk of that fs/ update is the merge of the UBI filesystem, to
    > > pick one fairly sizeable chunk outside of arch or drivers (there's omfs
    > > too, but that's tiny in comparison).
    > >
    > > Other stuff? tracing. firmware loading.
    >
    > That one happens to break things for me badly:
    >
    > rafael@chimera:~/src/linux-2.6> make O=../build/mainline/chimera -j5
    > GEN /home/rafael/src/build/mainline/chimera/Makefile
    > CHK include/linux/version.h
    > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
    > Using /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6 as source for kernel
    > CALL /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
    > CHK include/linux/compile.h
    > Building modules, stage 2.
    > Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#208)
> [...]

    Actually, this happened due to some firmware files being created as root during
    installations of pre-rc -git kernels from the O= directory. So, not a real
    problem, but somewhat confusing.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-07-29 23:01    [W:0.042 / U:0.372 seconds]