    SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.27-rc1: problem with firmware stuff
    Date
    On Tuesday, 29 of July 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > It's two weeks (and one day), and the merge window is over.
    >
    > Finally. I don't know why, but this one really did feel pretty dang busy.
    > And the size of the -rc1 patch bears that out - at 12MB, it's about 50%
    > bigger than 26-rc1 (but not that much bigger than 24/25-rc1, so it's not
    > like it's anything unheard of).
    >
    > The pure size of the -rc's _is_ making me a bit nervous, though. Sure, it
    > means that we are good at merging it all, but I have to say that I
    > sometimes wonder if we don't merge too much in one go, and even our
    > current (fairly short) release cycle is actually too big.
    >
    > Anyway, that's a discussion for some other event.
    >
    > Much of -rc1 was in linux-next, but certainly not everything. We'll see
    > how that whole thing ends up evolving - it certainly didn't solve all
    > problems, and there was some bickering about things that weren't there
    > (and some things that mostly were ;), but maybe it helped.
    >
    > There's a ton of new stuff in there, but at least personally the
    > interesting things are the BKL pushdown and perhaps the introduction of
    > the lockless get_user_pages_fast(). The build system also got updated to
    > allow moving the architecture include files ("include/asm-xyz") into the
    > architecture subdirectories ("arch/xyz/include/asm"), and sparc seems to
    > have taken advantage of that already.
    >
    > But those changes are just small details in the end. As usual, the bulk of
    > changes are all to device drivers (roughly half, as usual), with the arch
    > directory amounting to about half of the remainder. Dirstat:
    >
    > 3.2% arch/arm/
    > 9.2% arch/ppc/
    > 24.6% arch/
    > 5.2% drivers/char/drm/
    > 6.3% drivers/char/
    > 4.5% drivers/gpu/drm/
    > 4.5% drivers/gpu/
    > 4.6% drivers/media/video/
    > 5.5% drivers/media/
    > 3.0% drivers/net/wireless/
    > 10.7% drivers/net/
    > 6.4% drivers/usb/misc/
    > 4.7% drivers/usb/serial/
    > 12.9% drivers/usb/
    > 51.2% drivers/
    > 4.4% firmware/
    > 3.7% fs/
    > 9.2% include/
    >
    > where the bulk of that fs/ update is the merge of the UBI filesystem, to
    > pick one fairly sizeable chunk outside of arch or drivers (there's omfs
    > too, but that's tiny in comparison).
    >
    > Other stuff? tracing. firmware loading.

    That one happens to break things for me badly:

    rafael@chimera:~/src/linux-2.6> make O=../build/mainline/chimera -j5
    GEN /home/rafael/src/build/mainline/chimera/Makefile
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
    Using /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6 as source for kernel
    CALL /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
    CHK include/linux/compile.h
    Building modules, stage 2.
    Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#208)
    MODPOST 564 modules
    IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/loader.fw
    Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
    usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
    -w: wide records (16-bit length)
    -s: sort records by address
    IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/bitstream.fw
    IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/firmware.fw
    Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
    usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
    -w: wide records (16-bit length)
    -s: sort records by address
    make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/loader.fw] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/bitstream.fw] Error 1
    Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
    usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
    -w: wide records (16-bit length)
    -s: sort records by address
    make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/firmware.fw] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-07-29 22:51    [W:0.027 / U:0.276 seconds]