SubjectRe: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000002
> That's not what datacenter people say. As long as power gain is bigger
> than performance loss.. they tend to want it.

That's a special case. It's fine but they should explicitely configure it.
I suspect even the data center people prefer "opt in" versus "opt out" here.

> Also "significantly" is extremely subjective, like in this case it can
> be a win or a loss, depending.

My impression is that the losses are more likely than the wins here.

> > When the user says impacting performance
> > is ok then doing that is fine of course, but not by default.
>
> that's a fine kernel policy.
>
> Distros will override this policy if their users tell them they're
> willing to do the tradeoff.. they will pick that default. In fact..
> that's a big part of their job..

I'm not fully convinced that was done intentionally in this case.
If there's an explicit setting somewhere that's fine anyways, but I think
here it more looks like a mistake.

-Andi

  Last update: 2008-07-29 19:53    [W:0.060 / U:0.248 seconds]