SubjectRe: 463 kernel developers missing!
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:45:59AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Here's a new .mailmap file for the kernel that cleans up the horrible
> mess of names and email addresses in the log. To use it put it at the
> root of your kernel tree and type 'git shortlog'. Before the clean up
> there were 4,284 developers, after 3,821. There are 5,051 unique
> emails.
>
> The mailmap file contains all email addresses that have been used to
> submit patches to the kernel. Don't freak out about your email address
> being in the file, if it is in the file it is already in Google since
> the kernel log is already in Google.
>
> Putting all the email addresses and names into this file allows it to
> be used as a basis for future validation. Since I don't know perl, can
> someone whip up a patch to checkpatch.pl that validates the emails in
> new patches against the ones in mailmap? Then if you aren't in mailmap
> part of your commit needs to include a new entry for mailmap.
>
> Another useful script would take the output of "git log | grep ^Author
> | sort -u" and diff the list of email address against the mailmap
> file. Any new emails found are new people that need to be added to
> mailmap. Only the emails should be checked, not the names.
>
> Please excuse any errors I made in the clean up process, a large
> portion of it was done manually. After the base file is in we can
> patch it to fix the errors. For those of you using a dozen aliases,
> you might want to order them so that your current email is the last
> one in the list. James Bottomley has the most aliases, 13.

The charset of the names is pretty random - that should be fixed at some
point.

> PS It's not a diff because it would be too big to post.

200 kB would be OK for linux-kernel (AFAIR the current limit
is 400 kB). But to prevent charset problems a compressed attachment
might make sense...

> Jon Smirl

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-07-28 17:49    [W:0.138 / U:0.100 seconds]