    SubjectRe: [Bisected] Regression: Hang on boot in schedule_timeout_interruptible during ACPI init on SMP
    I just discovered; the nolapic_timer parameter causes the problem to go away
    entirely. It doesn't seem to have any nasty side effects, so I'm content to use
    it. Looking at the dmesg logs, however, I notice that the "last-good" kernel
    doesn't even try to use the LAPIC timer, but the "first-bad" does. I wasn't able
    to track down any discernible reason.

    On a side note, that's the first I've ever heard/seen of that parameter, I tried
    it because I noticed the problems started when the LAPIC timer was successfully
    set up. I doubt the average user would notice this (you can't even tell unless
    you pass apic=debug), so I doubt many others would discover this fix/workaround.

    The question remains, though, why did it go from "don't try" to "try"?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-26 20:55    [W:0.020 / U:9.808 seconds]