    SubjectRe: Bug on 2.6.26 - x86 VIA Nehemiah CentaurHauls processor cannot boot
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > This was originally supposed to be handled in the early real mode
    > head.S code. That is why I put the CPUID checking code in there
    > to error out early when you can still print to the console
    > using the BIOS functions.
    > I suspect this regressed when that code was moved to C, because
    > now the C compiler generates CMOV early.
    > How about always building the real mode C code with -march=i386?
    > It is not performance critical so that is ok.

    The real mode code *is* compiled with -march=i386, and in the CMOV case
    it will err out with a legible message.

    The issue isn't CMOV at all, it's with long NOPs, which don't have a
    CPUID bit -- they're supposed to be supported if family >= 6, but some
    VIA chips violate that condition.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-26 20:39    [W:0.019 / U:4.532 seconds]