SubjectRe: PCI: MSI interrupts masked using prohibited method
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 05:37:49PM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> The spec says that system software should enable MSI before setting
> message address and data (PCI 3.0 section 6.8.3.1 MSI configuration).
> The kernel doesn't do this.

I think you meant "disable"? I can't find anything in 6.8.3.1 of 3.0
that refers to this.

> I really don't think we should be enabling/disabling MSI while
> interrupts might be being generated. There are cases where interrupts
> will be lost. Consider PCIe where we might end up with a situation
> where MSI is disabled and then enabled sufficiently quickly that no
> periodic line interrupt message is sent by the device.

I don't think there's a difference here between PCIe and conventional
PCI. A device raising a line based interrupt is perfectly equivalent to
a device sending an INTx message.

> The message address and data should only be modified while the vector is
> masked (to avoid the aforementioned 'tearing'). This means that setting
> IRQ affinity cannot be done on devices without per-vector mask bits. I
> don't think this is a problem.

I agree. I think it's fine to have this limitation.

> In vague psuedo-code, set_affinity() should be something like this:
>
> int did_mask = msi_mask_vector();
> if (!did_mask) {
> return -ENOTSUPP;
> }
> /* fiddle with address and mask now */
> msi_unmask_vector();

Yes, something like that.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-07-25 18:59    [W:0.121 / U:0.116 seconds]