SubjectRe: post 2.6.26 requires pciehp_slot_with_bus
Date
On Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:51 pm Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:07:18 -0700
>
> Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:39 pm Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > > This is a laptop with a single expressport that worked fine up until
> > > this merge window. What changed and why is it no longer possible to
> > > support this hardware without a kernel parameter?
> >
> > Yeah we're being a bit more careful about registering hotplug slots these
> > days. The fact that you got a conflict message indicates that more than
> > one driver is trying to bind to that PCIe port and handle hotplug for it.
> > I guess acpiphp must already be loaded?
>
> Nope. Only pciehp is builtin, and acpiphp is not loaded. Anything
> non-hotplug related that can block stuff?

Theoretically only one of the other hotplug drivers could claim the slot (e.g.
acpi, cpci, cpqhp, fakephp etc.). You could put a dump_stack() or something
into drivers/pci/hotplug/pci_hotplug_core.c:pci_hp_register to see if we're
getting multiple callers on the same slot for some reason... Maybe the
pciehp driver itself is trying to register the same slot twice?

> Anyway, the port seems to work even with that warning present though
> (sorry for not testing that properly earlier). Stray warnings is still
> not pleasant though, so I can do some more testing if you have some
> ideas.

Thanks. Yeah we don't want to scare people or break existing setups.

Jesse

  Last update: 2008-07-25 00:09    [W:0.046 / U:0.168 seconds]