    SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 fixes
    Johannes Weiner wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Ingo Molnar <> writes:
    >> Linus,
    >> Please pull the latest x86 fixes git tree from:
    >> git:// x86-fixes-for-linus
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ingo
    >> ------------------>
    >> Jan Kratochvil (1):
    >> x86: fix crash due to missing debugctlmsr on AMD K6-3
    >> Jeremy Fitzhardinge (2):
    >> x86: rename PTE_MASK to PTE_PFN_MASK
    >> x86: add PTE_FLAGS_MASK
    > Are you serious? It goes _this_ fast? The patch came into my mbox at
    > 8:00am this morning and you push it to Linus at 4:00pm already?
    > What about the inconsistency it introduces? When I look at PAGE_MASK
    > for example, it masks out the PAGE offset. PTE_MASK masks out PTE
    > specifca from a value.
    > Now, I assume PTE_PFN_MASK masks out the PFN. Oh, wait, it masks the
    > protection bits.

    PAGE_MASK turns an address into its page address.

    PTE_PFN_MASK takes a pte value and returns the pte's pfn portion (which
    is shifted so it's actually a page address).

    In both cases, the X_MASK terminology means that X is extracted, not
    excluded. Which makes sense; if you have a packed bitfield containing
    multiple values, you wouldn't expect X to be the list of things *not*

    (I would be happy to have a PAGE_OFFSET_MASK for all the places where
    you want to extract the offset.)

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-22 17:11    [W:0.025 / U:2.872 seconds]