SubjectRe: Why is /sys/class/power_supply/CMB1/energy_now not exported?
It looks like you use current_now as power, not multiplying it by voltage.
You should either not multiply anything, then you have similar units -- charge and current,
or multiply _both_ by voltage_now, then again you have similar units -- power and energy.
In these both cases you'll have hours or remaining capacity.

Michal Hocko wrote:
> [fixing bad linux kernel mailing list email address - sorry, but gmail's
> thrown mailing delivery error to the spam]
>
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:03:11AM +0400, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>
> Hi Alexey,
>
>> the charge_now part of your patch seems to be correct, but the
>> calculation is somehow broken --
>
> I have made some experiments and the result is quite surprising to me.
> It seems that this problem is somehow related to Debian distribution
> kernel, because I wasn't able to reproduce it with the Vanilla kernel (I
> had to screw something up last time when I have checked that and
> reported in the original message).
>
> I have tried 3 configurations:
> * 2.6.25 - Vanilla kernel with config-2.6.25 config and result output in
> powertop-2.6.25-good
> * 2.6.25-2 - Debian distribution kernel with config-2.6.25-2 config and
> powertop-2.6.25-2-bad output
> * 2.6.26 - Vanilla kernel with config-2.6.26 config and result output in
> powertop-2.6.26-good
>
> with the following scenario (powertop patched with attached
> charge-read.patch):
> * wait for /sys/class/power_class/CMB1/status FULL on AC
> * get values from all files in ..CMB1 to output file
> * unplug AC
> * run powertop
> * get values from all files in CMB1 again to the same file
> * get output of power consumption to the output file
>

> | 2.6.25 2.6.25-2 2.6.26
> voltage_now | 12222000 12206000 12218000
> charge_now | 4850000 4850000 4850000
> current_now | 1398000 1334000 1313000
> reported | 16.6 1.4 16.3
> consumption |
> calculated | 24.5 3.63 3.69
> consumption |
>
> Charge value is stable for all 3 configurations and current_now is
> 2.5.25 > 2.6.25-2 > 2.6.26 so I would expect that reported consumption
> is for 2.6.25-2 would be somewhere between values for good
> configurations.
>
> If I use your calculation (charge_now/current_now), than the results are
> even more confusing, because 2.6.26 are similar to 2.6.25-2 (but reported
> value is like I would expect).
>
> Someone has an idea what could be wrong?
>
>> This is what we have:
>> ./voltage_min_design
>> 10800000
>> ./voltage_now
>> 11900000
>> ./current_now
>> 1609000
>> ./charge_full_design
>> 5200000
>> ./charge_full
>> 4996000
>> ./charge_now
>> 4600000
>>
>> if we do charge_now/current_now, we'll get: 2.86 (hours) or 2 hours 52
>> minutes.
>> let's now calculate power consumption:
>> voltage_now * current_now = 11900000 * 1609000 / 10^12 = 19.15 W
>> and last, let's calculate remaining battery energy:
> [...]

  Last update: 2008-07-22 07:53    [W:0.050 / U:0.024 seconds]