SubjectRe: Please add ZFS support (from GPL sources)
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 09:35:45AM -0300, Kevin Winchester wrote:
>> If Fred declines, is anyone free to take you up on the offer? I have
>> no filesystem experience and almost no experience with kernel code in
>> general, so I would not be anyone's first choice for a task like this.
>> However, since it mainly appears to be an integration exercise (using
>> the code from GRUB and making it work in linux), it might well be
>> doable for me. As a bonus, being highly inexperienced, I have no
>> expectations of doing anything correctly, and thus would not react
>> badly to lots of criticism.
>>
>> So to summarize - if anyone else would like to undertake this work,
>> they probably should. But if no one has the time/will, then I would
>> be happy to give it a try.
>
> Yes, this offer is of course up to everyone interested. But it's not
> purely an integration effort in the traditional sense, the grub
> filesystem interface is quite different from the Linux one, and the code
> structure and style is quite different. But if you're willing to learn
> it should be very interesting.

No one else seems to have volunteered, so I would certainly like to
give it a try. I guess I need to get the ZFS grub code, create a ZFS
filesystem, and start looking around for information on linux
filesystem development and ZFS (obviously without looking at any CDDL
licensed code).

Once I get a handle on that, I'll see where I can get before I need to
ask a thousand questions.

--
Kevin Winchester

  Last update: 2008-07-21 13:41    [W:0.067 / U:0.080 seconds]