    SubjectRE: [RFC] How to handle the rules engine for cgroups
    Vivek Goyal wrote:

    > Hi,
    > While development is going on for cgroup and various controllers, we also
    > need a facility so that an admin/user can specify the group creation and
    > also specify the rules based on which tasks should be placed in respective
    > groups. Group creation part will be handled by libcg which is already
    > under development. We still need to tackle the issue of how to specify
    > the rules and how these rules are enforced (rules engine).
    > I have gathered few views, with regards to how rule engine can possibly be
    > implemented, I am listing these down.
    > Proposal 1
    > ==========
    > Let user space daemon hanle all that. Daemon will open a netlink socket
    > and receive the notifications for various kernel events. Daemon will
    > also parse appropriate admin specified rules config file and place the
    > processes in right cgroup based on rules as and when events happen.
    > I have written a prototype user space program which does that. Program
    > can be found here. Currently it is in very crude shape.
    > Various people have raised two main issues with this approach.
    > - netlink is not a reliable protocol.
    > - Messages can be dropped and one can loose message. That means a
    > newly forked process might never go into right group as meant.
    > - How to handle delays in rule exectuion?
    > - For example, if an "exec" happens and by the time process is moved to
    > right group, it might have forked off few more processes or might
    > have done quite some amount of memory allocation which will be
    > charged to the wring group. Or, newly exec process might get
    > killed in existing cgroup because of lack of memory (despite the
    > fact that destination cgroup has sufficient memory).

    I think it is necessary to avoid these issues.
    IMO, In particular a second one (handle may delay).
    This issue can always happen.

    > Proposal 2
    > ==========
    > Implement one or more kernel modules which will implement the rule engine.
    > User space program can parse the config files and pass it to module.
    > Kernel will be patched only on select points to look for the rules (as
    > provided by modules). Very minimal code running inside the kernel if there
    > are no rules loaded.
    > Concerns:
    > - Rules can become complex and we don't want to handle that complexity in
    > kernel.
    > Pros:
    > - Reliable and precise movement of tasks in right cgroup based on rules.
    > Proposal 3
    > ==========
    > How about if additional parameters can be passed to system calls and one
    > can pass destination cgroup as additional parameter. Probably something
    > like sys_indirect proposal. Maybe glibc can act as a wrapper to pass
    > additional parameter so that applications don't need any modifications.
    > Concerns:
    > ========
    > - Looks like sys_indirect interface for passing extra flags was rejected.
    > - Requires extra work in glibc which can also involve parsing of rule
    > files. :-(
    > Proposal 4
    > ==========
    > Some vauge thoughts are there regarding how about kind of freezing the
    > process or thread upon fork, exec and unfreeze it once the thread has been
    > placed in right cgroup.
    > Concerns:
    > ========
    > - Requires reliable netlink protocol otherwise there is a possibility that
    > a task never gets unfrozen.
    > - On what basis does one freeze a thread. There might not be any rules to
    > process for that thread we will unnecessarily delay it.
    > Please provide your inputs regarding what's the best way to handle the
    > rules engine.
    > To me, letting the rules live in separate module/modules seems to be a
    > reasonable way to move forward which will provide reliable and timely
    > execution of rules and by making it modular, we can remove most of the
    > complexity from core kernel code.

    I'd agree with your opinion.
    Strict movement of tasks is indispensable in enterprises scene.

    Regards, Kazunaga Ikeno

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-02 11:39    [W:0.030 / U:0.076 seconds]