SubjectRe: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10 (resume)
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Rodrigo Rubira Branco (BSDaemon) wrote:

> Willy Tarreau escreveu:

>>> For free? Hum, let's forget that you work as a linux developer... we are
>>> also trying to contribute in some way for free...
>>>

>> Rodrigo, this type of personal comment is unjustified and very
>> inappropriate
>> IMHO. It's not fair at all to judge people's personal involvement based on
>> whom they work for. If you'd work at nights and week-ends after your job to
>> backport bugfixes, you'd know what I'm talking about. BTW, one day you may
>> notice that the most personally involved ones *finally* get a job at a
>> Linux
>> vendor's, and not the reverse.
>>
>> So please take care of not dismissing what people do on their own time, and
>> try be kind enough to bring problems to them directly if any.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Willy
>>

> Hey Willy,
>
> Sorry, but my comment was not unjustified, since he started saying he is
> doing a free-job and we are saying is doing it 'wrong'.... That's not the
> case. We all are doing a free job, contributing in some way, not just you,
> him or me... Everybody involved in this discussion.
> But he, more than others, are also paid to do that job...

he's paied to work on what his company chooses to have him do for Linux.
Greg is saying that he is doing all the -stable work on his own time,
after finishing the work on Linux that his employer chooses to pay him
for.

> Also, as a
> developer of any project so important as linux, doing that for free or not,
> you have a responsibility.
> You can choose to take it or not (I think that's why there is not many
> people with balls to accept it, and I congrats Greg for that).

if you would define the job up front and ask for someone to take it on you
could then argue that they aren't doing it right. but when someone
volunteers to do something and creates the job, claiming that they re
doing it 'wrong' after the fact is insulting. the job is what he defined
it to be when he created it. if you want to define the job differently you
are welcome to do just that and start doing the different job (or hire
someone to do the job). if you are right then Greg's work will be
irrelavent and he can stop wasting his time. but unless you are willing to
step up you should not take the tone that you have taken. you can ask for
changes, explain why you think they are better, try and convince others,
but you cannot say that he must or that he has a responsibility to do it
your way.

David Lang