    SubjectRe: From 2.4 to 2.6 to 2.7?

    On Saturday 2008-07-19 22:56, david@lang.hm wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Craig Milo Rogers wrote:
    >> On 08.07.19, Rene Herman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Really, find me a single Linux developer who wouldn't try just a
    >>> little bit harder for a big 3.0 release. This is still a
    >>> community, not yet a boring office schedule...
    >>
    >> I'm afraid that the allure of 3.0 would mean that everyone
    >> would want to get their shiny new subsystem/scheduler
    >> rewrite/bootstrap file format change/whatever incorporated into it

    Which is why it should not be announced early, but happen
    spontaenously at Linus's discretion, right after the last -rc.

    >> it, resulting in a protracted integration period and an unstable
    >> system. According to this line of thought, Linus should simply
    >> announce version 3.0 with no forewarning...
    >
    > not to mention that people would avoid it becouse it would be a .0
    > release and therefor perceived as being unstable (and for the
    > reasons that Craig lists, they would probably be right)

    Maybe we should also start skipping on numbers like 2.x.4, 2.x.13,
    and 2.6.66.
    "What's in a number?"
    Maybe we should only ever release 2.<odd>.0 to show that there is
    nothing bad about being an <odd> or a .0 release.

      Last update: 2008-07-19 23:59    [W:2.300 / U:0.008 seconds]