SubjectRe: [patch 1/3] fastboot: Create a "asynchronous" initlevel
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:24:26 -0700
Daniel Walker <dwalker@mvista.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 22:20 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>

> > btw it's also about learning to crawl before learning to walk,
> > before learning to run. THis stuff is tricky and there are many
> > hidden problems; I rather start SIMPLE and understandably right, I
> > don't want to go "full parallel" now (or maybe ever, no idea, we
> > need to learn from this step first). Btw: I suspect the biggest
> > gain comes from the first step or two.. after that you soon get
> > diminishing returns...
> >

> Ok .. I'm not trying to rush you .. With that said, the increased
> number of threads seems like a natural direction to take.. I would
> assume the returns would diminish depending on the number of threads
> per the hardware.. For instance , your addition of one thread might
> even harm the boot time on some single core embedded systems ..

well it still improves the cases where msleep() happens... even on
single core. (fwiw the test machine I reported numbers from is single
core, albeit with hyperthreading)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-07-19 17:37    [W:0.056 / U:0.040 seconds]