    SubjectRe: [bug, netconsole, SLUB] BUG skbuff_head_cache: Poison overwritten
    Hi Ingo,

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    > yeah, we want to check use-after free at the next allocation point -
    > i.e. as late as possible to gather all corruptions that happened
    > meanwhile.
    >
    > We could in theory have a SLUB debug mode where a SCHED_IDLE kernel
    > thread would periodically check all free objects (of that CPU) in the
    > background to ensure their integrity. That would catch corruptions
    > sooner, with a possibly still meaningful context to print out. [right
    > after the IRQ or process that corrupts them finishes running]
    >
    > It could also be hooked into ftrace to print out the last few hundred
    > kernel function calls executed prior any corruption. ftrace/slub-debug
    > plugin perhaps?

    Well, there's this Norwegian guy, Vegard, who has written a small
    piece of code that can detect use-after-free _as it happens_. I think
    he calls the thing kmemcheck :-).

      Last update: 2008-07-18 11:19    [W:2.639 / U:0.956 seconds]