    SubjectRe: Please pull ACPI updates
    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:49:04PM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
    > One thing I wish I had in git is a way to make this sequence easier...

    Linus's answer (with rebase -i) is probably better, but my habit is to
    do what you describe, with some minor shortcuts:

    > Say I have a big topic branch with 30 patches in it.
    > The 3rd patch turns out to have a bug in it, but the
    > rest of the series is okay. Today I invoke gitk on
    > the branch and keep that open.
    > Then I create a new topic branch at the broken patch.
    > I always consult ~/src/git/Documentation/git-reset.txt
    > so I can remember the following sequence...
    > $ git reset --soft HEAD^
    > $ edit
    > $ git commit -a -c ORIG_HEAD

    Instead of the above three steps, you can do just:

    $ edit
    $ git commit -a --amend

    > Now I've got the fixed 3rd patch checked in,
    > but 27 patches in the original branch are hanging
    > off the original broken 3rd patch.
    > So I git-cherry-pick 27 patches
    > I hope I get them in the right order and don't miss any...
    > It would be nice if we could somehow git rebase those
    > 27 patches in a single command, but if we do,
    > that pulls with it the broken 3rd patch.

    At this point I do

    git rebase --onto HEAD old-sha1 name-of-branch-to-rebase

    (where old-sha1 is the name of the commit we just replaced, which I
    usually cut-n-paste out of gitk). That rebases the commits in the range onto the new HEAD commit that you
    just created, and replaces the named branch with the result.

    > come to think of it, I can probably export 4..27 as
    > an mbox and then import it on top of the new 3,
    > maybe that is what others do.

    That works too.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-17 23:19    [W:0.034 / U:18.560 seconds]