    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Once upon a time, Jeff Garzik  <jeff@garzik.org> said:
    >* Red Hat driver disks. The build process is unaware of the need to
    >bundle firmware. Any use with Fedora (or, later, RHEL) will result in a
    >non-working driver, for the simple reason that firmware is not copied
    >onto the image.

    Then Red Hat driver disks are already broken, as there are current
    modules (e.g. qla2xxx) that require external firmware.

    >* Embedded projects like OpenWRT, that divide up kernel modules into
    >multiple packages. Since it's not just one big package, you have to
    >update each package's list of files to include the newly split-out
    >firmwares. Failure to do so results in a successful build set of
    >packages... of drivers that lack their firmware.

    AFAIK OpenWRT and the like don't just throw in random new kernel
    releases without at least reading release notes and testing.
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

      Last update: 2008-07-16 02:23    [W:5.157 / U:0.008 seconds]