SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, david@lang.hm wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>> That's a totally bogus argument.
>> you misunderstood me. the people pushing request_firmware() are doing so on
>> the basis that they won't have to use kernel ram to hold the firmware. the
>> people pushing for having the option of building the firmware into the module
>> are acknowleding that this may use a little more ram, but they see it as being
>> more reliable.
>
> I'm just saying that it's a totally bogus argument to claim that it takes
> less memory - Either way.

Agreed.

> As to reliability, I don't buy that, especially with a generic interface,
> and with a way to link the thing in-kernel anyway. Using common
> infrastructure is going to be more reliable.

A more complex, multi-file inter-dependent system is more reliable than
a single-file driver with built-in firmware, doing the same thing?

Come _on_.

There are good arguments for request_firmware(), but that ain't it.

> The argument for request_firmware() is that it's a good _single_ interface
> to the whole firmware issue, allowing us to split up the driver from the
> firmware without every driver having to do some hack of its own.

Agreed.

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-07-15 09:59    [W:0.304 / U:0.188 seconds]