    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
    > you don't have to. We extend udev once and then it will always work.

    Umm. The thing is, people running new kernels with old user land is not
    just supposed to work, it's _really_ supposed to work.

    It's what I do. Something that breaks that has to have damn good reasons
    to break it.

    So I do not disagree with Jeff on that point _at_all_. I'm in violent
    agreement with Jeff on the fact that we should not require system updates
    for the kernel to do the right thing.

    The thing I disagree with Jeff on is that he then seems to turn that into
    something very negative ("let's not separate the firmware at all").

    And I'd much rather just fix it. And that means that if people can point
    to udevd's that get confused - or lack of udevd's entirely - both of which
    sound very likely to me, then we should have a graceful fallback position.

    And just supporting the notion of loading the firmware directly sounds
    like an obvious such case. It may not be the _only_ solution, for example,
    which is why I'd actually like to see people point to the _actual_
    reported problems.

    IOW, the problems shouldn't a "don't do this" thing. They should be a "ok,
    that problem happened, we can solve it by doing X".

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-15 22:11    [W:0.022 / U:0.444 seconds]