    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
    > > > If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be
    > > > solved in one go.
    > >
    > > And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
    > > write that support instead of complaining ;-)
    > I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of hand,
    > there is not much point in writing it.

    Quite frankly, I don't think it's something to reject out of hand, but it
    does sound pretty damn stupid.

    Why compile them into the module, when that's just the _inflexible_ model?

    Why not just install them with the module (perhaps in the module
    directory, perhaps not), and just load them?

    Really. You _do_ have do to "make modules_install" or similar. That has
    _already_ got inter-file dependencies (ie some modules simply depend on
    other modules). I'm not seeing why you cannot accept change.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-15 20:27    [W:0.030 / U:0.960 seconds]