    SubjectRe: [RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region
    Hi Jean,

    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:
    >> Is there any way to use lspci and start at the LPC bridge, then find
    >> the SuperIO chip's IO address? What about ACPI tables? Perhaps probing
    >> logic could look for an LPC bridge before probing certain IO addresses
    >> even if the addresses are not in the LPC bridge config.
    >
    > I always assumed that there was no way to know in advance if a
    > Super-I/O (LPC) chip was present or not, let alone the exact model of
    > the chip. The I/O addresses are decoded by the Super-I/O chip itself,
    > and in general it has no relation to PCI. And I've never seen ports
    > 0x2e/0x2f nor 0x4e/0x4f listed in /proc/ioports.
    >
    > But of course if there is a way to know, we should use it. Avoiding
    > random access to I/O ports, even if they are relatively standard in
    > this case, is always good.

    I looked at my lspci output and did a little researching, and I think
    the only thing we can deduce is that there is an LPC bridge, so
    looking for a SuperIO is a good idea. If there is no LPC bridge
    listed, I can't say whether probing the ports is a good idea or not.

    David

      Last update: 2008-07-15 17:35    [W:0.034 / U:0.848 seconds]