    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 19:17 -0700, David Miller wrote:
    > When module support was added, guess what? I could still build a
    > completely static kernel image like I always could.
    > And in fact, to this day, that's what I personally do because that's
    > how I like my kernels.

    Good. You can still do precisely that, and build the firmware into your
    kernel. You can have exactly what you like. Hey, you can build even
    _more_ firmware into your kernel now. You can have NFS-root on devices
    you previously had to use an initrd for. hth.

    > But this request_firmware() change does not allow one to get what he
    > could get before, which is a completely self-contained driver module
    > object file.
    > This is the difference between providing an option and making
    > something mandatory. This firmware split up is now mandatory.

    In all the years we've been using request_firmware(), nobody ever asked
    for a way to build the firmware _into_ the .ko file, until now. Why is
    it suddenly so important for a small handful of older network drivers,
    when nobody else has ever seen the need for it -- even in modern network

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-15 04:27    [W:0.022 / U:14.736 seconds]