[lkml]   [2008]   [Jul]   [14]   [last100]   RSS Feed

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:50:18PM -0500, Robin Holt wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:31:07AM -0500, Jack Steiner wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:24:51AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:52:55 -0500 Jack Steiner <steiner@sgi.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:17:36PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > > > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:14:39 -0500 Jack Steiner <steiner@sgi.com> wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > Open code the equivalent to follow_page(). This eliminates the
    > > > > > > requirement for an EXPORT of follow_page().
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I'd prefer to export follow_page() - copying-n-pasting just to avoid
    > > > > > exporting the darn thing is silly.
    > > > >
    > > > > If follow_page() can be EXPORTed, I think that may make the most sense for
    > > > > now.
    > > >
    > > > What was Christoph's reason for objecting to the export?
    > > No clue. Just a NACK.
    > > Christoph???
    > Maybe I missed part of the discussion, but I thought follow_page() would
    > not work because you need this to function in the interrupt context and
    > locks would then need to be made irqsave/irqrestore.

Arggg. You are right. I forgot the issue with the pte locks.

Looks like I am back to the plan suggested by Nick. I'll add a
    get_user_pte_fast() function to gup.c.

The pte lookup function is very similar to the get_user_pages_fast()
    function.

Ignore the previous noise about follow_page().

--- jack