SubjectRe: [PATCh] x86: overmapped fix when 4K pages on tail - 64bit
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
>>
>> First I was only commenting on one specific patch, nothing more.
>>
>> My point is full rounding to 4K on all corners is wasteful because the
>> CPUs have to handle that case anyways and every split costs precious
>> TLB entries in direct mapping accesses.
>>

> Well, the CPU *does* handle them... by splitting the larger pages into
> smaller pages. They still end up in the small-page TLB, so there is no
> real difference if done in the CPU or in software.

There's actually a difference in some cases, but that's a different
issue.

Only when the hole is a real hole. But when it's just some firmware
area or similar that's not needed.

> Memory state transitions are (fortunately) relatively rare and
> long-lived,

That's not true today with several 3d driver setups. Also in general
I would expect more PAT use in the future and that is usually a split.

-Andi

  Last update: 2008-07-14 08:43    [W:0.060 / U:0.148 seconds]