    SubjectRe: [git pull] core, x86: make LIST_POISON less deadly

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Avi Kivity wrote:

    > We could add a printk to the #GP handler that alerts the reader that a
    > poisoned list is suspected, if we find the address pattern in one of the
    > registers.

    I wouldn't worry too much - it's going to be pretty visible anyway.

    The only thing I _would_ worry about is the AMD prefetch bug - some AMD
    cores raise a spurious page fault for prefetch instructions, and we ignore
    it.

    I _think_ that bug is a pure TLB issue and would never trigger for an
    address that doesn't do page fault handling at all because it gets caught
    in the "is the address valid" code, but it does make me go "Hmm".

    See

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/9/10/397

    from Rich Brunner. The AMD errata listing does say just page fault, and
    does talk about speculative TLB reloads, so I think we're all good.

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-07-14 18:29    [W:0.023 / U:0.616 seconds]