SubjectRe: [RFT] x86 acpi: normalize segment descriptor register on resume
Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:15:24AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
>> we still need to find the HAL quirk and disable it, right?
>
> Not without understanding what the cause is. If the video BIOS calls are
> generically broken, then we have a problem.

The HAL quirk is the very first one here:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi

I removed it from the HAL config and suspending w/ the hardware button
works fine now with -rc9-wl and on Ubuntu's stock .24 kernel.

I'll file the obvious bug report against HAL, but it might annoy users
if new kernel + old HAL = broken system, when the old kernel worked
fine. An alternative might be to make the change in 4b4f7280
conditional on a new acpi_video_flags quirk so that previously-working
systems keep working.

The quirk that actually breaks is s3_bios. s3_mode still works, and
power/video.txt says:

(2) systems where it is possible to call the video BIOS during S3
resume. Unfortunately, it is not correct to call the video BIOS at
that point, but it happens to work on some machines. Use
acpi_sleep=s3_bios.

--Andy

  Last update: 2008-07-13 17:53    [W:0.115 / U:0.712 seconds]