    SubjectRe: [RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-io without request_region
    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:27:26 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
    > Jean Delvare wrote:
    > > Hi Hans, hi Milton,
    > >
    > <snip>
    > >> One could make a superio driver, and create sub-devices for the IR,
    > >> I2C, floppy, parallel, etc
    > >> nodes.
    > >
    > > There have been proposals to do this, and this would indeed be a very
    > > good idea, but unfortunately nobody took the time to implement this
    > > properly, push it upstream and volunteer to maintain it. The problem is
    > > that you don't need just a "driver", but a new subsystem, that needs to
    > > be designed and maintained.
    > Well, I believe there have been some lightweight superio locking coordinator
    > patches been floating around on the lm_sensors list, and I have reviewed them
    > and then a new version was done with my issues fixed.
    > I kinda liked the proposed solution there, it was quite simple, moved all the
    > generic superio stuff into generic superio code, and added locking for super io
    > access from multiple drivers, what ever happened to those patches?

    As far as I know, nothing, and this is the problem. Somebody needs to
    step up and call him/herself the maintainer of the new code, and push
    it upstream and convert all the drivers (hwmon, watchdog, parallel
    port...) to make use of it. And I am not the one to do this, I am busy
    enough as is with i2c and hwmon.

    > If were to start using those, we could actually do a request region and then
    > never release it, as things should be.

    Yes, if we have a superio access coordinator, it can request the region
    and not release it. But as long as we don't have that, I agree with
    Milton that the individual drivers should temporarily request the
    Super-I/O region before accessing it.

    Jean Delvare

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-11 09:39    [W:0.021 / U:35.584 seconds]