SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mike Travis wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, that might be the way to go.... At boot up time determine the
>> size of the system in terms of cpu count and memory available and
>> attempt to do the right thing, with startup options to override the
>> internal choices... ?
>>
>> (Surely a system that has a "gazillion ip tunnels" could modify it's
>> kernel start options... ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, we can't use a MODULE to support different options unless
>> we change how the kernel starts up (would need to mount the root fs
>> before starting secondary cpus.)
>>

> Using a module doesn't make any sense anyway. This is more what the
> kernel command line is for.
>
> -hpa

I was thinking that supporting virtual percpu addresses would take a fair
amount of code that, if living in a MODULE, wouldn't impact small systems.
But it seems to be not worth the effort... ;-)

Thanks,
Mike

  Last update: 2008-07-11 03:01    [W:0.116 / U:0.884 seconds]