SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mike Travis wrote:
>>
>> The biggest growth came from moving all the xxx[NR_CPUS] arrays into
>> the per cpu area. So you free up a huge amount of unused memory when
>> the NR_CPUS count starts getting into the ozone layer. 4k now, 16k
>> real soon now, ??? future?
>>

> Even (or perhaps especially) so, allocating the percpu area in 2 MB
> increments is a total nonstarter. It hurts the small, common
> configurations way too much. For SGI, it's probably fine.
>
> -hpa

Yes, "right-sizing" the kernel for systems from 512M laptops to 4k cpu
systems with memory totally maxed out, using only a binary distribution
has proven tricky (at best... ;-)

One alternative was to only allocate a chunk similar in size to
PERCPU_ENOUGH_ROOM and allow for startup options to create a bigger
space if needed. Though the realloc idea has some merit if we can
validate the non-use of pointers to specific cpu's percpu vars.
(CPU_ALLOC contains a function to dereference a percpu offset.)

The discussion started at:

Thanks,
Mike

  Last update: 2008-07-11 01:39    [W:0.362 / U:0.140 seconds]