    SubjectRe: [patch 00/26] x64, x2apic/intr-remap: Interrupt-remapping and x2apic support
    Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com> writes:

    > in general the purpose of this is to support 256 and more logical threads....
    > .... not going to happen on 32 bit

    Huh?

    Intel is still making new 32bit processors with otherwise modern chipsets
    like tolapai so I don't plan to count anything out. Especially things like
    the iommu support for irqs may be interesting. Further the iommu irq
    support is interesting to hypervisors so I would not at all be surprised
    to see the code getting reused in that context, and with 32bit kernels.

    I'm not asking for anyone to unify code they are not touching but
    rather to code things so unification because trivial. The entire
    purpose of having arch/x86. We have had this discussion and the
    viewpoint that we won't add new hardware features to x86_32 and just
    put it in maintenance mode lost, because the hardware manufactures
    include Intel have not put x86_32 into strictly maintenance mode.

    Eric

      Last update: 2008-07-11 01:05    [W:0.024 / U:62.668 seconds]