    SubjectRe: [2.6.26-rc4] Problems with rt2x00 USB interface on powerpc
    Hi, Ivo.

    First of all, thank you so much for helping with this issue. It is
    greatly appreciated.

    On Jun 08 2008, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > > Unfortunately, this patch won't even apply with 2.6.26-rc5 as the code
    > > seems to have changed a lot between that date and today. For instance,
    > > there doesn't seem to exist a function called "rt2500usb_config_mac_addr"
    > > in the rt2x00 directory (just did a grep on my unconnected iBook).
    >
    > That patch was a bugfix for 2.6.25. The bug it fixed isn't present in
    > the 2.6.26 cycle.

    Nice to know that. I saw that the code has changed quite a good amount...

    Anyway, I don't know if you saw the various outputs that I put at my
    homepage (lots of dmesgs with the 2.6.26-rc4 kernel):
    http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debug/

    (Not included here because the list has limits on the size of e-mails, AFAIK).

    > > > Just as a refresher:
    > > >
    > > > * I can set everything on the iBook with the wireless key plugged;
    > > > * The wireless key *sees* the AP, even with encryption (that is, it grabs
    > > > the MAC address of the AP, it (sometimes) shows me the signal strength,
    > > > and if I issue "iwconfig wlan0 ap any", I see both the led of the
    > > > wireless key blink and an increase of amount of data transmitted and
    > > > received with "ifconfig wlan0");

    Just a comment here: it seems that with the -rc5 kernel I don't get
    always the wireless key seeing the AP... Sometimes it shows "Not
    Associated". I will try to reproduce that with an -rc4 kernel again.

    > > > * With everything set this way, if I do "dhclient wlan0", it doesn't get a
    > > > lease from the AP---actually, despite the fact that it is possible to see
    > > > the other point, dhclient goes, after some attempts of getting a lease,
    > > > to background, but no address is ever gotten;
    > > > * Just to rule out possible problems with something sent to the address
    > > > 255.255.255.255 (which is reported as being done by dhclient), I tried to
    > > > configure the address by hand via ifconfig, but, for instance, I couldn't
    > > > ping my AP (which I can from other computers with a rt61pci driver and a
    > > > PCMCIA connection);
    > > > * As I mentioned above, I have no problems with the rt61pci driver, but the
    > > > USB one doesn't seem to work (unfortunately, the iBook does not have a
    > > > PCMCIA slot). With a notebook with an on-board Intel wireless card, I
    > > > *also* don't have any problems.
    > > >
    > > > Well, thanks, for the help so far. I hope that we can solve this issue
    > > > quite soon, as I need this iBook for work.
    > > >
    > > > I am willing to help as much as I can and test anything (even something
    > > > that might be "experimental"). I think that this is as good a tester that
    > > > you can get, right? :-)
    > >
    > > Again, I am willing to test any "intrusive" change as I still don't have
    > > valuable data on that machine. BTW, I have firmware from Debian's
    > > ralink-firmware package (which should be what ralink has released)
    > > installed on this machine.
    > >
    > > I don't know if the firmware is needed in my case or not, though (my USB
    > > adaptor is a D-Link DWL-G122 H/W Ver. B1, F/W Ver.: 2.03---took that info
    > > from the back of the stick).
    >
    > Which driver is actually being used? rt2500usb or rt73usb?

    The driver that actually gets loaded is rt2500usb. I tried rmmod'ing
    rt2500usb and loading rt73usb, but a quick iwconfig doesn't even show
    the interfaces.

    > Also what was the last kernel version on which the driver worked for
    > you?

    Unfortunately, I don't have any kernel for which this has worked for
    me. I just did an experiment: I plugged the adaptor on a ia32 notebook
    where a rt61pci works fine (it is running Ubuntu's Hardy---well,
    actually, there are some problems, but I can get to that latter), but
    the USB key was non working with the symptoms that I described above.

    > If there was a last known working kernel, could you download the debugfs script:
    > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/download/file.php?id=1969
    > enable debugfs and MAC80211_DEBUGFS and RT2X00_LIB_DEBUGFS in your kernel,
    > and run the script to dump all registers from the hardware to a file?

    I just grabbed the script. Here is the output with the options enabled
    and the results are attached here.

    > Please do this for both the working kernel as the non-working kernel
    > so I can see if there is a register initialization problem which could
    > have been triggered by an endian-problem.

    That was my first suspicion: and endianess problem. But now I am not so
    sure.

    Thanks again, Rogério Brito.

    2.6.26-rc5-2
    driver: rt2500usb
    version: 2.1.4
    compiled: Jun 8 2008 17:08:54
    dev_flags: 0x00000e2f
    rt chip: 1201
    rf chip: 0005
    revision:00000005

    csr length: 128
    eeprom length: 53
    bbp length: 96
    rf length: 5

    csr
    0 :0x00050000
    1 :0x00040000
    2 :0x13000000
    3 :0xe9460000
    4 :0x8a8d0000
    5 :0x13000000
    6 :0x51460000
    7 :0x65100000
    8 :0x09800000
    9 :0xff1d0000
    10 :0x00140000
    11 :0x000a0000
    12 :0x013a0000
    13 :0x11110000
    14 :0x1e110000
    15 :0x01ee0000
    16 :0x00000000
    17 :0x01fe0000
    18 :0x005a0000
    19 :0xff000000
    20 :0x00020000
    21 :0x1e460000
    22 :0x00530000
    23 :0x00000000
    24 :0x00000000
    25 :0x00000000
    26 :0x00000000
    27 :0x00000000
    28 :0x00000000
    29 :0x00000000
    30 :0x00000000
    31 :0x00000000
    32 :0x1ec00000
    33 :0xb1620000
    34 :0x007e0000
    35 :0xb3af0000
    36 :0xb3aa0000
    37 :0x8c8d0000
    38 :0x8b8a0000
    39 :0x86870000
    40 :0x00850000
    41 :0x01620000
    42 :0x000a0000
    43 :0x00000000
    44 :0x140a0000
    45 :0x70380000
    46 :0x0c130000
    47 :0x06090000
    48 :0x03050000
    49 :0x02030000
    50 :0xfa000000
    51 :0x000b0000
    52 :0x00030000
    53 :0xe78f0000
    54 :0x00000000
    55 :0x00000000
    56 :0x00000000
    57 :0x00000000
    58 :0x00000000
    59 :0x00000000
    60 :0x00000000
    61 :0x00000000
    62 :0x00000000
    63 :0x00000000
    64 :0x00000000
    65 :0x00000000
    66 :0x00000000
    67 :0x00000000
    68 :0x00000000
    69 :0x00000000
    70 :0x00000000
    71 :0x00000000
    72 :0x00000000
    73 :0x00000000
    74 :0x00000000
    75 :0x00000000
    76 :0x00000000
    77 :0x00000000
    78 :0x00000000
    79 :0x00000000
    80 :0x00000000
    81 :0x00000000
    82 :0x00000000
    83 :0x00000000
    84 :0x00000000
    85 :0x00000000
    86 :0x00000000
    87 :0x00000000
    88 :0x00000000
    89 :0x00000000
    90 :0x00000000
    91 :0x00000000
    92 :0x00000000
    93 :0x00000000
    94 :0x00000000
    95 :0x00000000
    96 :0x12210000
    97 :0x00030000
    98 :0x00000000
    99 :0x00000000
    100 :0x000f0000
    101 :0x82060000
    102 :0x821e0000
    103 :0x91000000
    104 :0x00000000
    105 :0x0e070000
    106 :0x54000000
    107 :0x00000000
    108 :0x00000000
    109 :0x00000000
    110 :0x00000000
    111 :0x00000000
    112 :0x032c0000
    113 :0xfb580000
    114 :0x63110000
    115 :0x0a1f0000
    116 :0x00000000
    117 :0x00000000
    118 :0x00000000
    119 :0x00000000
    120 :0x00000000
    121 :0x00000000
    122 :0x02e10000
    123 :0x00000000
    124 :0x00000000
    125 :0x00000000
    126 :0x00000000
    127 :0x00000422

    eeprom
    0 :0x2570
    1 :0x0104
    2 :0x1300
    3 :0xe946
    4 :0x8a8d
    5 :0xffff
    6 :0xffff
    7 :0xffff
    8 :0xffff
    9 :0xffff
    10 :0xffff
    11 :0x2829
    12 :0xfff0
    13 :0x00ff
    14 :0x112c
    15 :0x1518
    16 :0x1618
    17 :0x3e00
    18 :0xffff
    19 :0xffff
    20 :0xffff
    21 :0xffff
    22 :0xffff
    23 :0xffff
    24 :0xffff
    25 :0xffff
    26 :0xffff
    27 :0xffff
    28 :0xffff
    29 :0xffff
    30 :0x1717
    31 :0x1717
    32 :0x1717
    33 :0x1717
    34 :0x1617
    35 :0x1616
    36 :0x1616
    37 :0xffff
    38 :0xffff
    39 :0xffff
    40 :0xffff
    41 :0xffff
    42 :0xffff
    43 :0xffff
    44 :0xffff
    45 :0xffff
    46 :0xffff
    47 :0xffff
    48 :0x0032
    49 :0x6880
    50 :0x3850
    51 :0x6f5f
    52 :0xfa00

    bbp
    0 :0x13
    1 :0x55
    2 :0x06
    3 :0x02
    4 :0x19
    5 :0x0b
    6 :0x10
    7 :0x00
    8 :0x00
    9 :0x00
    10 :0x00
    11 :0x04
    12 :0x01
    13 :0xa8
    14 :0x1a
    15 :0x30
    16 :0xac
    17 :0x00
    18 :0x18
    19 :0xff
    20 :0x1e
    21 :0x18
    22 :0x18
    23 :0x08
    24 :0x80
    25 :0x50
    26 :0x08
    27 :0x23
    28 :0x18
    29 :0x18
    30 :0x10
    31 :0x2b
    32 :0xb9
    33 :0x55
    34 :0x12
    35 :0x50
    36 :0x11
    37 :0x05
    38 :0x00
    39 :0xc4
    40 :0x02
    41 :0x60
    42 :0x09
    43 :0x34
    44 :0x0b
    45 :0x6e
    46 :0x70
    47 :0x0a
    48 :0x04
    49 :0x02
    50 :0x68
    51 :0x18
    52 :0x04
    53 :0x10
    54 :0x18
    55 :0x2d
    56 :0x08
    57 :0x10
    58 :0x08
    59 :0x02
    60 :0x3e
    61 :0x5f
    62 :0x00
    63 :0x00
    64 :0x01
    65 :0x03
    66 :0x00
    67 :0x00
    68 :0x00
    69 :0x00
    70 :0x46
    71 :0x00
    72 :0x00
    73 :0x00
    74 :0xd4
    75 :0xff
    76 :0x19
    77 :0x05
    78 :0x08
    79 :0x00
    80 :0x00
    81 :0x05
    82 :0x14
    83 :0x50
    84 :0xc0
    85 :0x10
    86 :0xcf
    87 :0x00
    88 :0x00
    89 :0x00
    90 :0x00
    91 :0x00
    92 :0x00
    93 :0x00
    94 :0x00
    95 :0x00

    rf
    0 :0x00000000
    1 :0x00022010
    2 :0x000008a6
    3 :0x00062d11
    4 :0x00000e07
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:46:e9:8d:8a
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:46:51:10:65
    ESSID:"default"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:6
    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
    Quality=51/100 Signal level=-53 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=0000005b34700179

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"default"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=22 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
    Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    [unhandled content-type:application/x-sh]

      Last update: 2008-06-08 23:37    [W:0.039 / U:1.100 seconds]