SubjectRe: [2.6.26-rc4] Problems with rt2x00 USB interface on powerpc
Hi, Ivo.

First of all, thank you so much for helping with this issue. It is
greatly appreciated.

On Jun 08 2008, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Unfortunately, this patch won't even apply with 2.6.26-rc5 as the code
> > seems to have changed a lot between that date and today. For instance,
> > there doesn't seem to exist a function called "rt2500usb_config_mac_addr"
> > in the rt2x00 directory (just did a grep on my unconnected iBook).
>
> That patch was a bugfix for 2.6.25. The bug it fixed isn't present in
> the 2.6.26 cycle.

Nice to know that. I saw that the code has changed quite a good amount...

Anyway, I don't know if you saw the various outputs that I put at my
homepage (lots of dmesgs with the 2.6.26-rc4 kernel):
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debug/

(Not included here because the list has limits on the size of e-mails, AFAIK).

> > > Just as a refresher:
> > >
> > > * I can set everything on the iBook with the wireless key plugged;
> > > * The wireless key *sees* the AP, even with encryption (that is, it grabs
> > > the MAC address of the AP, it (sometimes) shows me the signal strength,
> > > and if I issue "iwconfig wlan0 ap any", I see both the led of the
> > > wireless key blink and an increase of amount of data transmitted and
> > > received with "ifconfig wlan0");

Just a comment here: it seems that with the -rc5 kernel I don't get
always the wireless key seeing the AP... Sometimes it shows "Not
Associated". I will try to reproduce that with an -rc4 kernel again.

> > > * With everything set this way, if I do "dhclient wlan0", it doesn't get a
> > > lease from the AP---actually, despite the fact that it is possible to see
> > > the other point, dhclient goes, after some attempts of getting a lease,
> > > to background, but no address is ever gotten;
> > > * Just to rule out possible problems with something sent to the address
> > > 255.255.255.255 (which is reported as being done by dhclient), I tried to
> > > configure the address by hand via ifconfig, but, for instance, I couldn't
> > > ping my AP (which I can from other computers with a rt61pci driver and a
> > > PCMCIA connection);
> > > * As I mentioned above, I have no problems with the rt61pci driver, but the
> > > USB one doesn't seem to work (unfortunately, the iBook does not have a
> > > PCMCIA slot). With a notebook with an on-board Intel wireless card, I
> > > *also* don't have any problems.
> > >
> > > Well, thanks, for the help so far. I hope that we can solve this issue
> > > quite soon, as I need this iBook for work.
> > >
> > > I am willing to help as much as I can and test anything (even something
> > > that might be "experimental"). I think that this is as good a tester that
> > > you can get, right? :-)
> >
> > Again, I am willing to test any "intrusive" change as I still don't have
> > valuable data on that machine. BTW, I have firmware from Debian's
> > ralink-firmware package (which should be what ralink has released)
> > installed on this machine.
> >
> > I don't know if the firmware is needed in my case or not, though (my USB
> > adaptor is a D-Link DWL-G122 H/W Ver. B1, F/W Ver.: 2.03---took that info
> > from the back of the stick).
>
> Which driver is actually being used? rt2500usb or rt73usb?

The driver that actually gets loaded is rt2500usb. I tried rmmod'ing
rt2500usb and loading rt73usb, but a quick iwconfig doesn't even show
the interfaces.

> Also what was the last kernel version on which the driver worked for
> you?

Unfortunately, I don't have any kernel for which this has worked for
me. I just did an experiment: I plugged the adaptor on a ia32 notebook
where a rt61pci works fine (it is running Ubuntu's Hardy---well,
actually, there are some problems, but I can get to that latter), but
the USB key was non working with the symptoms that I described above.

> If there was a last known working kernel, could you download the debugfs script:
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/download/file.php?id=1969
> enable debugfs and MAC80211_DEBUGFS and RT2X00_LIB_DEBUGFS in your kernel,
> and run the script to dump all registers from the hardware to a file?

I just grabbed the script. Here is the output with the options enabled
and the results are attached here.

> Please do this for both the working kernel as the non-working kernel
> so I can see if there is a register initialization problem which could
> have been triggered by an endian-problem.

That was my first suspicion: and endianess problem. But now I am not so
sure.

Thanks again, Rogério Brito.

Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org2.6.26-rc5-2
driver: rt2500usb
version: 2.1.4
compiled: Jun 8 2008 17:08:54
dev_flags: 0x00000e2f
rt chip: 1201
rf chip: 0005
revision:00000005
csr length: 128
eeprom length: 53
bbp length: 96
rf length: 5

csr
0 :0x00050000
1 :0x00040000
2 :0x13000000
3 :0xe9460000
4 :0x8a8d0000
5 :0x13000000
6 :0x51460000
7 :0x65100000
8 :0x09800000
9 :0xff1d0000
10 :0x00140000
11 :0x000a0000
12 :0x013a0000
13 :0x11110000
14 :0x1e110000
15 :0x01ee0000
16 :0x00000000
17 :0x01fe0000
18 :0x005a0000
19 :0xff000000
20 :0x00020000
21 :0x1e460000
22 :0x00530000
23 :0x00000000
24 :0x00000000
25 :0x00000000
26 :0x00000000
27 :0x00000000
28 :0x00000000
29 :0x00000000
30 :0x00000000
31 :0x00000000
32 :0x1ec00000
33 :0xb1620000
34 :0x007e0000
35 :0xb3af0000
36 :0xb3aa0000
37 :0x8c8d0000
38 :0x8b8a0000
39 :0x86870000
40 :0x00850000
41 :0x01620000
42 :0x000a0000
43 :0x00000000
44 :0x140a0000
45 :0x70380000
46 :0x0c130000
47 :0x06090000
48 :0x03050000
49 :0x02030000
50 :0xfa000000
51 :0x000b0000
52 :0x00030000
53 :0xe78f0000
54 :0x00000000
55 :0x00000000
56 :0x00000000
57 :0x00000000
58 :0x00000000
59 :0x00000000
60 :0x00000000
61 :0x00000000
62 :0x00000000
63 :0x00000000
64 :0x00000000
65 :0x00000000
66 :0x00000000
67 :0x00000000
68 :0x00000000
69 :0x00000000
70 :0x00000000
71 :0x00000000
72 :0x00000000
73 :0x00000000
74 :0x00000000
75 :0x00000000
76 :0x00000000
77 :0x00000000
78 :0x00000000
79 :0x00000000
80 :0x00000000
81 :0x00000000
82 :0x00000000
83 :0x00000000
84 :0x00000000
85 :0x00000000
86 :0x00000000
87 :0x00000000
88 :0x00000000
89 :0x00000000
90 :0x00000000
91 :0x00000000
92 :0x00000000
93 :0x00000000
94 :0x00000000
95 :0x00000000
96 :0x12210000
97 :0x00030000
98 :0x00000000
99 :0x00000000
100 :0x000f0000
101 :0x82060000
102 :0x821e0000
103 :0x91000000
104 :0x00000000
105 :0x0e070000
106 :0x54000000
107 :0x00000000
108 :0x00000000
109 :0x00000000
110 :0x00000000
111 :0x00000000
112 :0x032c0000
113 :0xfb580000
114 :0x63110000
115 :0x0a1f0000
116 :0x00000000
117 :0x00000000
118 :0x00000000
119 :0x00000000
120 :0x00000000
121 :0x00000000
122 :0x02e10000
123 :0x00000000
124 :0x00000000
125 :0x00000000
126 :0x00000000
127 :0x00000422
eeprom
0 :0x2570
1 :0x0104
2 :0x1300
3 :0xe946
4 :0x8a8d
5 :0xffff
6 :0xffff
7 :0xffff
8 :0xffff
9 :0xffff
10 :0xffff
11 :0x2829
12 :0xfff0
13 :0x00ff
14 :0x112c
15 :0x1518
16 :0x1618
17 :0x3e00
18 :0xffff
19 :0xffff
20 :0xffff
21 :0xffff
22 :0xffff
23 :0xffff
24 :0xffff
25 :0xffff
26 :0xffff
27 :0xffff
28 :0xffff
29 :0xffff
30 :0x1717
31 :0x1717
32 :0x1717
33 :0x1717
34 :0x1617
35 :0x1616
36 :0x1616
37 :0xffff
38 :0xffff
39 :0xffff
40 :0xffff
41 :0xffff
42 :0xffff
43 :0xffff
44 :0xffff
45 :0xffff
46 :0xffff
47 :0xffff
48 :0x0032
49 :0x6880
50 :0x3850
51 :0x6f5f
52 :0xfa00
bbp
0 :0x13
1 :0x55
2 :0x06
3 :0x02
4 :0x19
5 :0x0b
6 :0x10
7 :0x00
8 :0x00
9 :0x00
10 :0x00
11 :0x04
12 :0x01
13 :0xa8
14 :0x1a
15 :0x30
16 :0xac
17 :0x00
18 :0x18
19 :0xff
20 :0x1e
21 :0x18
22 :0x18
23 :0x08
24 :0x80
25 :0x50
26 :0x08
27 :0x23
28 :0x18
29 :0x18
30 :0x10
31 :0x2b
32 :0xb9
33 :0x55
34 :0x12
35 :0x50
36 :0x11
37 :0x05
38 :0x00
39 :0xc4
40 :0x02
41 :0x60
42 :0x09
43 :0x34
44 :0x0b
45 :0x6e
46 :0x70
47 :0x0a
48 :0x04
49 :0x02
50 :0x68
51 :0x18
52 :0x04
53 :0x10
54 :0x18
55 :0x2d
56 :0x08
57 :0x10
58 :0x08
59 :0x02
60 :0x3e
61 :0x5f
62 :0x00
63 :0x00
64 :0x01
65 :0x03
66 :0x00
67 :0x00
68 :0x00
69 :0x00
70 :0x46
71 :0x00
72 :0x00
73 :0x00
74 :0xd4
75 :0xff
76 :0x19
77 :0x05
78 :0x08
79 :0x00
80 :0x00
81 :0x05
82 :0x14
83 :0x50
84 :0xc0
85 :0x10
86 :0xcf
87 :0x00
88 :0x00
89 :0x00
90 :0x00
91 :0x00
92 :0x00
93 :0x00
94 :0x00
95 :0x00

rf
0 :0x00000000
1 :0x00022010
2 :0x000008a6
3 :0x00062d11
4 :0x00000e07wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:46:e9:8d:8a
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:46:51:10:65
ESSID:"default"
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=51/100 Signal level=-53 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000005b34700179
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"default"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=22 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
[unhandled content-type:application/x-sh]

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans