SubjectRe: [patch 02/41] cpu alloc: The allocator
Date
On Thursday 05 June 2008 01:30:23 Mike Travis wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:

> >> I think cacheline aligning should be sufficient. People should not
> >> allocate large page aligned objects here.
> >
> > I vaguely recall there were issues with this in the module code. They
> > might be gone now, but failing to meet alignment contraints without a big
> > warning would suck.
> >
> > But modifying your code to consider the actual alignment is actually
> > pretty trivial, AFAICT.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Rusty.
>
> So paraphrasing my earlier email, we should add:
>
> bitmap_find_free_area(bitmap, nbits, size, align, alignbase)
>
> so that > cacheline alignment is possible?
>
> My thinking is that if we do go to true dynamically sized cpu_alloc area
> then allocating PAGE_SIZE units may be both practical and worthwhile...?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Well, my thinking is that unless we do true dynamic per-cpu, this entire patch
series is a non-starter :(

Once we have that, we can reopen this. Then we'll discuss why we're writing a
new allocator rather than using the existing one :)

Cheers,
Rusty.

  Last update: 2008-06-06 01:51    [W:0.831 / U:0.008 seconds]