SubjectRe: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (may have realtime uses)
> From: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>
> Date: Thu, Jun 05, 2008 02:07:40PM +0200
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:16 +0000, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> > By now I'm facing some problems. I still have not clear what
> > parameters a task forked from a sched_edf task should get, as it would
> > involve some form of admission control,
>
> I'd start with something like:
>
> u64 sched_param::edf_period [ns]
> u64 sched_param::edf_runtime [ns]
>
> so that deadline = time_of_schedule + edf_period, and his allowance
> within that period is edf_runtime.

This is what I'm doing right now (apart from using timespec structs
instead of u64 values to align the sched_param struct specified by
POSIX on systems with SCHED_SPORADIC support).

I'll clean up the code and post it here in the next few days.

> fork would inherit the parent's settings, and we'd need to do admission
> control on all tasks entering SCHED_EDF, either through setscheduler()
> or fork(). We could fail with -ENOTIME or somesuch error.
>
> > and how to deal with tasks that run longer than their nominal
> > execution time (i.e., should we use some server mechanism to limit the
> > amount of cpu they're using, or handle that in some other way?)
>
> Yeah - we already account the amount of runtime, we can send them
> SIGXCPU and stop running them. Look at the rt_bandwidth code upstream -
> it basically stops rt task groups from running once their quota is
> depleted - waking them up once it gets refreshed due to the period
> expiring.
>
> For single tasks its easier, just account their time and dequeue them
> once it exceeds the quota, and enqueue them on a refresh timer thingy to
> start them again once the period rolls over.

Ok, using the same mechanism even for SCHED_EDF tasks seems the
right way to go.

> The only tricky bit here is PI :-) it would need to keep running despite
> being over quota.

There is some work in this area, and there are some protocols
handling that, but that simple solution will be a good starting
point.

  Last update: 2008-06-05 17:31    [W:0.153 / U:0.044 seconds]