SubjectRe: [Squashfs-devel] Squashfs mainlining status?

Hi,

Phillip> I am currently working on this. A re-write and merge of the
Phillip> Squashfs metadata and fragment cache code has been finished
Phillip> (it is in the Squashfs CVS tree). The original
Phillip> implementation had a number of performance issues which I
Phillip> wanted to address before resubmission.

Nice to hear! Are you aiming for 2.6.27 or later?

Phillip> The major work of course is the move to a little endian
Phillip> layout without any bit fields in the structures to make it
Phillip> easier to swap member fields on big-endian architectures.
Phillip> I'm currently working on this on a non-CVS branch.
Phillip> Most of the work till now has been without any attempt to
Phillip> retain backwards compatibility with the current 3.3
Phillip> little-endian filesystem layout. After your private email
Phillip> regarding retaining backwards compatibility I will look
Phillip> again at this issue, it may well be that I will abandon my
Phillip> current layout changes that I have so far made.

What private mail? Anything of interest to the rest of the group? As I
said earlier, I'm strongly in faviour of cleaning up the layout now
and get rid of all the backwards compatibility code. Doing it once
it's in mainline will be really hard.

Phillip> I have taken time off work to work on the necessary mainline
Phillip> changes full time (unpaid unfortunately, so I need to look
Phillip> for another job soon). Hopefully this will mean I will make
Phillip> better progress than I have been able to in the last couple
Phillip> of years.

;) Good luck with it. Is there anything I can do to help?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

  Last update: 2008-06-04 11:41    [W:0.191 / U:0.240 seconds]