SubjectRe: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (may have realtime uses)

Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 09:47, Max Krasnyanskiy wrote:
>> Dimitri, you can probably use that too. ie Boot the thing with most CPUs
>> offline and then bring them online. That way you'll know for sure that no
>> timers, works, hard-/soft-irqs, etc are running on them.
>
> When you bring a CPU online, in theory the sched domains should get
> set up for them, so you should start seeing processes get migrated
> onto it, and with them timers work queues etc.
>
> If you have irqbalanced running, it probably migrates irqs onto them
> as well if it needs to.

Sure. My suggestion assumes that system wide balancing is disabled (via top
level cpuset) and that IRQ affinity masks are properly setup. I mentioned that
in my earlier emails.

Max

  Last update: 2008-06-04 05:03    [W:0.098 / U:0.632 seconds]