    Subject[Question] about modules/inline benefits
    Hi,

    I've been compiling linus' git kernel (recompiling every -rc). I usually
    compile many features/drivers as modules. I was wondering what the
    benefits/drawbacks there are for modules compared to inlining.

    What would be the differences between modules and inlining if you know
    the hardware/features needed?

    Is it better to not use modules if you're compiling for just one
    computer that you know the hardware/features needed? (I know distros
    have to use modules because they have to work on a wide variety of hardware)

    Are there any performance/efficiency/memory benefits for inlining/module?

    Are some drivers/features better suited to be compiled as modules?

    Do modules slow down the boot process?

    I currently have these modules:
    i915
    acpi_cpufreq
    cpufreq_powersave
    cpufreq_stats
    cpufreq_userspace
    cpufreq_conservative
    container
    sbs
    sbshc
    ext3
    jbd
    mbcache
    arc4
    ecb
    crypto_blkcipher
    rtc
    dcdbas
    cryptomgr
    crypto_algapi
    psmouse
    evdev
    snd_hda_intel
    snd_pcm_oss
    snd_mixer_oss
    snd_pcm
    iwl3945
    mac80211
    snd_timer
    crc32
    snd_page_alloc
    video
    backlight
    output
    ac
    button
    battery
    intel_agp
    reiserfs
    sr_mod
    cdrom
    sg
    ata_piix
    ehci_hcd
    uhci_hcd
    usbcore
    thermal
    processor
    fan

    If inlining is more efficient/advantageous, then I might compile-in
    everything I can, and use modules for testing new features and such.

    Justin Madru

      Last update: 2008-06-03 06:17    [W:0.019 / U:30.464 seconds]