SubjectRe: + x86-implement-pte_special.patch added to -mm tree
On 6/3/08, akpm@linux-foundation.org <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> The patch titled
> x86: implement pte_special
> has been added to the -mm tree. Its filename is
> x86-implement-pte_special.patch

> Subject: x86: implement pte_special
> From: Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de>
>
> Implement the pte_special bit for x86. This is required to support
> lockless get_user_pages, because we need to know whether or not we can
> refcount a particular page given only its pte (and no vma).

Wait... what the heck is a "special" page? Isn't that a terrible name
for _anything_? Or is there a tradition to the name? It sounds like it
should be named "novma" or "autonomous" or something instead.
Something that carries at least a little more information than
"special". Where can I find the documentation for this bit?

Has this been discussed on LKML? Is the name a result of consensus or whim?

Help! :-)

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it

  Last update: 2008-06-03 17:55    [W:0.261 / U:0.616 seconds]