SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] mm: dont clear PG_uptodate in invalidate_complete_page2()
> > > Like __block_prepare_write()?
> >
> > That's called with the page locked and page->mapping verified.
>
> Only when called via standard codepath.

It would be a grave error to call it without the page lock.

> > I want the page fully invalidated, and I also want splice and nfs
> > exporting to work as for other filesystems.
>
> Fully invalidated page can not be uptodate, doesnt' it? :)

That's just a question of how we interpret PG_uptodate. If it means:
the page contains data that is valid, or was valid at some point in
time, then an invalidated or truncated page can be uptodate.

> You destroy existing functionality just because there are some obscure
> places, where it is used, so instead of fixing that places, you treat
> the symptom. After writing previous mail I found a way to workaround it
> even with your changes, but the whole approach of changing
> invalidate_complete_page2() is not correct imho.

You rely on page being !PageUptodate() after being invalidated? Why
can't you check page->mapping instead (as everything else does)?

> Is this nfs/fuse problem you described:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=121396920822693&w=2

Yes.

> Instead of returning error when reading from invalid page, now you
> return old content of it?

No, instead of returning a short count, it is now returning old
content.

Miklos

  Last update: 2008-06-25 16:47    [W:0.070 / U:0.288 seconds]