SubjectRe: [rfc patch 4/4] splice: use do_generic_file_read()
On Sat, Jun 21 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@suse.cz>
>
> __generic_file_splice_read() duplicates a lot of stuff common with the
> generic page cache reading. So reuse that code instead to simplify
> the page cache splice code.
>
> This also fixes some corner cases which weren't properly handled in
> the splice code because of complexity issues. In particular it fixes
> a problem when the filesystem (e.g. fuse) invalidates pages during the
> splice operation.
>
> There might be some slight fall in performance due to the removal of
> the gang lookup for pages. However I'm not sure if this is
> significant enough to warrant the extra complication.

This makes everything sync, it's a no go. Why don't we look into fixing
the invalidate problem that fuse sees (can you elaborate on that?)?

I tried to do a quick performance test with your patches for comparison
in the cached case, but it crashes immediately in spd_release_page()

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-06-24 10:09    [W:1.020 / U:0.268 seconds]