SubjectUSB attached SATA disk idle spindown
Dear list,

I am looking for what the current state of USB SATA timed spindown of-
disks is ata this time. I've been reading documents and mailing lists-
for every possible search I can dream up on the subject. Suggested-
workable solutions include (but are probably not limited to):

$ hdparm -S
This seems to be the ATA way of telling a disk to spin down, and it
works in some situations, but doesn't appear to work on USB attached
disks under 2.6.25

$ sdparm
This is suggested in a small number of locations. Most of which have
examples on how to disable STANDBY on a handful of devices. I am
unable to find any evidence that it can actually be used to enable
power saving.

$ scsi_spin
Requires the disk to be unmounted, and I can't find anything saying
that this is how the world is supposed to be.-

I'm hoping that perhaps I'm missing something from this list.

I don't really know whether this is a topic for the scsi people, or the-
SATA people, or the USB people. So I'm asking here instead to try and
get my first hints from the parent group.

Thanks in advance,

hachi

"She smiled again, shrugged her shoulders, and became a perfect mirror."

  Last update: 2008-06-24 07:09    [W:0.360 / U:0.204 seconds]