    SubjectSending UDP packets to port 0
    Hi all,

    I know that the kernel forbids sending UDP packets to port 0. Is there a
    specific reason for this?

    I'm asking because I regularly need to access a device that asks for
    tftp files using port 0 as source. To use these devices I'm using a
    kernel with removed port 0 checks.

    I read RFC 768, and it does not explicitly forbid the use of port 0 as
    far as I can see. It only says that if unused, 0 is to be inserted.

    RFC 1350 (TFTP) even states explicitly:
    The transfer identifiers (TID's) used by TFTP are passed to the Datagram
    layer to be used as ports; therefore they must be between 0 and 65,535.

    In my understanding, and apparently that of the authors of the
    appliance's tftp client implementation, this marks port 0 as valid.

    Please CC: me on any replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

    Regards,
    Chris

      Last update: 2008-06-22 10:57    [W:0.026 / U:30.820 seconds]