SubjectRe: stack overflow on Sparc64
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, David Miller wrote:

> From: Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@redhat.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:34:23 -0400 (EDT)
>
>> And what if network softirq happened here? How much stack does it consume?
>>
>> The whole overflowed stack trace has 75 functions, I was able to get rid
>> of 9 by avoiding bio_endio recursion and 10 by turning simple functions
>> into inlines. --- so is it enough or not enough for possible networking
>> calls?
>
> It should be OK, because the minimum stack of a (75 - 19) depth call
> chain is under 11K and within safe limits I believe.

I meant if some fancy networking options can eat those 19 frames that I
saved and crash again? I use the computer as a workstation, it doesn't
have high network load and it doesn't use any features except basic
TCP/IP.

>> Maybe a good thing would be to add a check for stack size to __do_softirq
>> and handing the softirq to ksoftirqd if there's not enough space.
>
> I'd rather it spit out a WARN_ON() message and a backtrace.
>
> Otherwise it will be considered a feature and people won't fix
> these deep call chains.

If you think that process context+network processing+hardirqs can fit into
75 nested functions... I really have no idea how much the networking
takes, given the amount of protocols and features and inability to test
them all in one lab, it looks very scary.

Mikulas

  Last update: 2008-06-20 23:29    [W:0.730 / U:0.024 seconds]